Will it work for you or against you?

How can I stop my brain from being less efficient at the end of the week?


Stop boring it.

Your brain doesn't get tired.

It's active every single moment of every single hour of every single day of your entire life.

It starts working, the moment it develops around 8 weeks after conception and keeps going until after you draw your very last breath.

You may go to sleep but your brain doesn't. It's just as active at night as during the day.

So any drop in efficiency that you experience is down to the quality of the work you give it.

If you feel that your productivity is dropping, change subject. Move to something new and continue.


"Is there such a thing as a boring job?"
I was given great advice very early on in my career. It went
"Do what you love or love what you do"
The principle was that if you couldn't do what you loved, find something in the thing you have to do that you can love. They went on to tell me that every job has bits in it that you won't like so you had better find ways of liking them because they were unavoidable. I have to admit that I found that to be very good advice.
Since then, I have noticed two things:
1. There are people everywhere who enjoy doing that thing you hate
2. That many people doing "dream jobs" - like zipping around the world around the world to exotic locations and photographing beautiful women all at someone else's expense - are quick to moan about how the job isn't all glamour like having to check in and out of hotels and live from a suitcase - you know, the kind of stuff everyone does on holiday and doesn't moan about
So, are there boring jobs or just bored people?
When I asked how I could get to love something I didn't, they told me to find someone who did love it and ask them why they loved it. Again good advice. But there is a better piece of advice I was given. It was
"Never shortchange yourself by doing less than your best. If you don't do your best, the only person you really cheat is yourself"
Again good advice. So, if you're doing your very best, can you really find any job boring?
OK. There may be times when your boss absolutely refuses to let you change a job to make it better or goes out of their way to make the job terrible. But is that the job's fault or the boss' fault?


The second point you made was even more important. It is "Who is in control - you or your dopamine levels?"
Now I would argue that you're in control for two reasons:
1. The dopamine hit isn't in social media, it's in us. I hate social media. I mean I really hate social media - but I do it because that is the way the world operates in the 21st century. So whether I like it or not, I have to do it. There is no dopamine hit for me when I do social media. I would much rather read a book
2. We are just like Pavlov's Dogs. Pavlov's Dog's did not salivate at the sound of a bell. They salivated at the sound of a bell only once that bell had been associated with them getting fed. In short, it was not the bell, it was their anticipation having heard the bell. If Pavolov had associated the bell with feeding and then stopped feeding them after the bell, the dogs would just as quickly have associated the bell with not being fed and stopped salivating. So we get the dopamine hit from social media or gaming or something else solely because it is associated with pleasure. If we stopped associating it with pleasure, the dopamine would stop flowing.
So why do people get a dopamine hit from social media - and a big one at that? Well I reckon it's for the same reason I don't. It's not social media, it's validation that gets the hit. Perhaps for the first time in their lives, they feel that someone cares about what they are doing and what they feel. Suddenly, their existence gets validated and they become validation junkies so that every new like / follower / positive comment is a wonderful experience and every new dislike / hater / complaint is a new low.
Now I am the reverse. I do not need my existence validated by others to make me feel like I deserve to live. My entire self-worth is based on how much I can express my humanity and I don't care if no one else notices or complains.
I have 600 connections but as far as I'm concerned that doesn't make me 10 times more valuable than someone with 60 nor does it make me 10 times less valuable than someone with 6,000 connections. But for some, this is life and death. I was told by someone that he to post on Instagram daily or he would lose followers. I hear people discussing their likes as if they were cholesterol levels
And the two points are related. Because I'm bored and unvalued at work and feel out of control of my life, I seek validation in social media or games or something else so giving what control I have over to complete strangers who, at a whim, can make my life better or worse. So it is absolutely essential that we tell people that their lives matter and every part of their lives matter - and they matter for no other reason that they are human beings and they are alive.





Credit: The header image is available as wallpaper from wall.alphacoders.com

No comments:

Post a Comment