Will it work for you or against you?

What is the best resource to demonstrate to people that anecdotes are not evidence?




You can't.

You might as well try to catch moonbeams in a jar.

The reason people use anecdotes is solely because they want to justify their stupid opinion. The anecdote doesn't even have to have a semblance of truth.

Someone once told me a clever joke which I didn't get at the time
"Is the plural of anecdote, data?"
The reason I didn't get it is because this definition of anecdote implies that it is just like a case history which I don't believe. Anecdotes, by their very nature, are super-selective about what they're telling you. Take the example:
"My Uncle Bulgaria smoked 5 packs of cigarettes a day and drank 3 bottles of whiskey and he lived to be 93"
That may be true, but what they don't tell you is that his lungs and liver were so shot that the man couldn't walk 5 paces without losing his breath.

Take my favourite:
"Oh my friend knows some guy who tried the Atkins Diet and he got a bad reaction"
Really? How long did he try it? Did he try doing it or did he just mess around with it? What kind of bad reaction? What was the guy's name? What's your friend's name?"

Many people have used anecdote to justify their position to me and when I ask simple questions like those above, they run away and hide because they know that it's bullshine-parading-as-evidence.

My suggestion is: leave them be. If they wish to believe nonsense, that is their democratic right

Credit: The header image is available as wallpaper from Wall.Alphacoders.com

No comments:

Post a Comment