Will it work for you or against you?

Why is it that society has recently become so offended and intolerant about everything?



It’s a socially acceptable form of bullying, pure and simple.

Anyone who takes offence is a bully because they’re demanding that you change your behaviour for no other reason than they don’t like it. Instead of shouting “Discrimination”, people should be forced to shout “She’s a witch! She’s a witch! Burn her” so that everyone can see the reprehensible behaviour for what it is.

Occasionally, people take offence at what I say. No, it’s true. I know it’s hard to believe but it is true

Them: “You have offended me”

Me: “So?”

Them: “Well, you should change”

Me: “Why? Just because you’re offended doesn’t make you right. Maybe you’re wrong to be offended and should change”

Them: “I have every right to be offended.”

Me: “Yes, you do. But your demand that anyone else should change solely based on your taking offence is a restriction of their rights”

People only use offence when they have no other argument. It’s like when people claim a behaviour is immoral, you know that they have nothing else.

Let’s take a simple one: discrimination.

If someone accuses me of discrimination, three things happen which should a complete anathema to civilised people:

  • I am presumed guilty until proven innocent. What? Our entire principle of law is thrown out. How is that justifiable?
  • There is no standard measure for me to prove my innocence because it’s down to my accuser to decide if I’m innocent. Why don’t we just bring back the Dunking Chair or the Iron Maiden and have done with it?
  • The person doing the accusing isn’t questioned. They are presumed to be making this complaint for fair and good reasons and have no hidden agenda. If someone made a complaint to the police that they had been assaulted, the first thing that the police would do is check their story by collecting evidence. The police will presume that the complaint is valid but they will still check.

So, just remember that anyone labelling you in this way is assaulting your human rights. The only way they can do that is assault human rights as a whole, including their own. In my mind, that makes the whole thing kind of stupid. But, hey, that’s only my opinion.

Let’s be clear

  • You have the right to disagree with me
  • You have the right to disagree with me out loud - either vocally or in writing
  • You have the right to feel whatever you want to feel about disagreeing with me - including taking offence.
  • But you don’t have the right to demand that I change my beliefs, opinions and/or behaviour just because you’re upset by them.


DISCLAIMER: I’m not a lawyer and nothing I’ve said here should be construed as legal counsel in any jurisdiction.

Credit: The header image is available as wallpaper from Wall.Alphacoders.com
,

No comments:

Post a Comment