Will it work for you or against you?

What is your worst memory as an entrepreneur?



The year I lost almost £500,000 in two projects. The absolute worst part of it was that the projects went pear-shaped because I didn't follow my own advice.
One project was a co-venture and it collapsed when the other partner pulled out. How many times have I told people not to have 1 main customer because if you do they have control over your business? Yet, I ignored that when it came to every other aspect of the business like business partners or investors. Now I say if you're going to have business partners or investors have at least three so losing one isn't an issue.
The other project went belly-up because I broke the first rule of software development: clearly write down what version 1 will contain - all other ideas will go into later versions. However, because it was taking so long to develop, I weakened and started adding modifications to placate our beta testers and, of course, each modification extended the development process. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
So technically, I didn't lose almost £500,000. I gave it away

Credit: The header image is available as wallpaper from wall.alphacoders.com

No comments:

Post a Comment