Will it work for you or against you?

What is the best way to make a second income?

 

As I have mentioned before, I have provided a lot of tax advice and accounts preparation which was the bulk of my business career even though I only started it as a secondary income.

If you're having trouble finding something to diversify into, it is likely to be for one of two reasons:

  1. You don't value your experience enough

  2. You don't value yourself enough.

Number 1 works out something like this "But millions of people must know more about X, Y and Z than I do?" That may be true. It's also irrelevant. As long as you know more than someone else, you can help them. Sometimes knowing much more than someone else is actually a hindrance to teaching them because you forget about what it's like to be in their position and to not just know stuff. I have to keep reminding myself that most people haven't had 30 years of experience with computers and there is stuff that they don't automatically know. This is known as being "Expert Enough" which is a phrase I first learned from Naomi Dunford and Dave Navarro but I see Corbert Barr has appropriated it too.

The logic is that 95% of people know virtually nothing about any subject so it doesn't take much effort to know more than them. With a little more effort, you can know more than 99% of people because the other 4% who know a little don't know that much.

Number 2 goes something like this "Who am I to earn money in this way? My folks worked really hard to put a roof over my head. I shouldn't be able to earn money this easily". I don't know about you but my mother worked really hard to give me an education precisely so I wouldn't have to struggle so hard to get what I wanted as she did. I consider it an insult to her if I don't use my brains after all the hard work she did to encourage me to do that very thing

But that's just me.

"But Phil! No body wants to pay me to play video games" Ah, yes they do

Six ways to make money playing video games

Millennial kids can earn $10,000 a month playing video games  


, ,

No comments:

Post a Comment